PROTECT YOUR HOME & FUTURE WITH INSURANCE
Explore earthquake risk in your area and learn how to prepare and protect your home.
Earthquake Fault Types
Tectonic Plate Boundaries
Earthquakes and Happenings
An earthquake is caused by a sudden slip on a fault. The tectonic plates are always slowly moving, but they get stuck at their edges due to friction. When the stress on the edge overcomes the friction, there is an earthquake that releases energy in waves that travel through the earth’s crust and cause the shaking that we feel.
In California there are two plates – the Pacific Plate and the North American Plate. The Pacific Plate consists of most of the Pacific Ocean floor and the California Coast line. The North American Plate comprises most the North American Continent and parts of the Atlantic Ocean floor. The primary boundary between these two plates is the San Andreas Fault. The San Andreas Fault is more than 650 miles long and extends to depths of at least 10 miles. Many other smaller faults like the Hayward (Northern California) and the San Jacinto (Southern California) branch from and join the San Andreas Fault Zone.
Call to Action
Earthquakes traveling through the interior of the globe are like so many messengers sent out to explore a new land. The messages are constantly coming and seismologists are fast learning to read them.
- Earthquake AustraliaThe question of whether Australia is a safe place of an earthquake is still controversial. Australia is not located in an active seismic zone. In fact, Australia is not at the plate border but in the middle of plate tectonics . However, earthquakes still occur in small strength each day. According to seismologist it has …
- Recent Earthquake In AlaskaAlaska is one of the most popular places on the earth. There are so many interesting things about Alaska that makes people from all over the world come to this US state. Unlike other states of the US, Alaska is located a little bit remote from other states. One of the most interesting things about …
- Earthquake Activity Around The WorldEarthquake activity around the world in recent years shows that activity increased especially in the last decade like that temblor which occurred in Japan and the earthquake area in Sumatra resulting tsunami. Actually it was not rise, but that may happen because the number of seismologists and earthquake measuring tools increased that are able to …
- Deadliest Past EarthquakesSeveral earthquakes all over the globe have claimed the lives of hundreds of thousands of people over the last decade. This article compiles some of the deadliest earthquakes that have caused havoc in the past ten years. Nepal, April 25th, 2015 A magnitude -7.8 quake hit Nepal on April 25th, 2015 killing more than 8,000 …
- Deadliest EarthquakesOne of the deadliest earthquakes since 1900 happened in off the west coast of northern Sumatra that happened on a date of 26 December 2004 and at 07:58 a.m. local time with the size o f9.1Magnitude. The fatalities are about more than 200.000 people. The tsunami caused more casualties than any other in recorded history. …